Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Bountiful Harvest = Yummy Recipe!

There are four activities I enjoy doing on my own which I classify as "me time".

They include: Cooking/Culinary Experimentation, Gardening; Taking a Bath with a good tabloid magazine; Reading in bed with the cat curled up next to me in an air-conditioned room

Last weekend, I harvested my second batch of super hot chillies for the year and I am excited!!!

All the "hard" work and tender loving care have paid off! I germinated these plants from seed so I am even prouder!

Don't let the size of those "devils" deceive you. Though they are big, they are super spicy just like chilli padi and we love it! We enjoy our spicy food and I would struggle in the marriage if hubby wasn't as keen on them as I am. I have come up with a recipe utilising these "devils", try it one day esp on a hot summer's day!

Beef Vermicelli Salad
serves 4
1 pkt vermicelli noodles, soaked in hot water and drained
400g rump steak, cut into strips
Mixture of Salad Vegetables
1 red capsicum, sliced into strips
1 yellow capsicum, sliced into strips
1 green capsicum, sliced into strips
1/2 red spanish onion, sliced finely into strips
2 handfuls of bean sprouts, top and tail removed
2 handfuls of snow peas, sliced into strips
4 white button mushrooms, sliced finely
Marinate and dressing:
4 tbsps sesame oil
8 tbsps fish sauce
1 spicy chilli, seeded and finely diced
2 tbsps brown sugar
4 tbsps rice wine vinegar
1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped roughly

2 handfuls of salteded cashew nuts, lightly bashed
juice of 2 limes

1. In a deep bowl, place strips of rump steak and half the marinate. Mix well and set aside for 30 mins.
2. In another deep bowl, place drained vermicelli noodles, all the vegetables and the remainder of the marinate. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a wok, cook the marinated beef strips thoroughly till well-done. Once cooked, place cooked meat and juice in wok into bowl in step 2.
4. To serve, place beef vermicelli salad onto plate, top with cashew nuts and juice of lime.
Tip: this dish can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. Very tasty served cold.

2 Comments:

At 1:50 AM, Anonymous sue said...

I must say your chilli looks very delicious. I am not a gardening person myself much to the annoyance of my neighbours. They spend all the time with their ass in the air but they do have beautiful garden.....

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Magdalene said...

they are yummy delicious, sue! start a little herb garden in a pot - it is fantastic in salads and cooking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home