Sunday, December 11, 2005

The "Silly" Season has begun

Saturday
Hubby and I spent the day at Carindale Shopping Centre as the weather was simply UNBEARABLE. If we stayed at home, we would be bored and bothered, doing outdoor activities would be out of the question so the next best thing is either the supermarket or the shopping centre. That was what we did.

The air-conditioned and very comfortable shopping centre only 20 mins drive from home was decked out in Christmas cheer. It was quite enjoyable browsing and stopping for a bite and a drink. Hubby and I split up briefly while he went in search for my Christmas presents while I went in search for more Christmas bits and pieces (as if I need more, so I have been told) but this is the only time of the year when being tacky is a good thing!

While having a pick-me-up snack of nachos and coffee, I realised that this is the only weekend we can catch up with hubby's father and step-mother since we won't be seeing them for Christmas. As usual, I had to make the call and sunday (as in today) is the only option. To cut the long story short, rang them and they were most happy to come by for lunch at 1pm!

Just when I thought we can have yet another quiet weekend, I create another social thing. I only have myself to blame for.

Got home at about 5pm. Wanted to go out for movie and dinner but after walking from 10:30am - 4:30pm in the shopping centre, we were absolutely buggered. So we settled for a quiet night at home. Dinner was prawn salad followed by a DVD movie on our plasma. Bliss....

Sunday
Woke up at 6:30am. Damn..why can't I sleep in? The air-con is on and the block out blinds and tinted windows keeps the bedroom dark and conducive for sleeping in so why?! I was frustrated.

Phone rings at 6:45am. Hubby picked up the phone and it was his mother. She's thinking of coming by sometime in the afternoon! Oh boy! The father-in-law, step mother-in-law and mother-in-law all in the same room. The last time this happened was at our wedding and they were seated at the opposite ends of the room!

We told her what was going on in the afternoon and she was still happy to come round and told us to pretend to be surprised by her drop-in and don't tell the other parties that she will be coming by. Okie dokie...

Next thing we know, it is 1pm. Father-in-law and step mother-in-law arrived on the dot. As soon as they drove up the driveway, they reversed the car back to the road to check the number on the mail box. Then it clicked! We hadn't told them that the front windows were recently tinted and that we had also done extensive work on our front yard! Oh boy! So I quickly ran out and waved them back in.

Talk talk talk...eat eat eat...next thing..."ding dong!"

ME
Oh..I wonder who's at the door

[ME walks to the door and of course, it was mother-in-law. Opens door.]

ME
[In a loud, excitable voicce]
Oh...it's you, Mum. What a surprise! C'mon in.
[Winks to Mother-in-law]

ME walks Mother-in-law to the dinning area

ME
Look everyone...speak of the devil!

To cut the long story short, it was a pleasant afternoon of catching up. Hubby and I listened in interest. They did all the talking. All in all, a brilliant afternoon.

We exchanged presents and father-in-law gave us a box of his Christmas trinkets that he didn't have use for. So no guesses what I did the moment they left...yes, I put them all up! It is simply fantastic!

I love the Christmas Season minus the heat and humidity.

What's on next week?
WEDNESDAY
Company Christmas Party. Yours truely organised it. 120 in attendance.
Cocktail event from 4:30pm - 7:00pm

SATURDAY
[1] 11:30am - 2:30pm Lunch with mum-in-law, uncle Ian and aunty carol in Beaudesert (about 70km from Brisbane)
[2] 3:30pm - 5:00pm Christmas Party with all the neighbours at the park next to our home must remember to bring plate of food
[3] 5:00pm - next morning Linton and Jas coming over for dinner, DVD Movie night and a possible sleep over

SUNDAY
Friends from Singapore arrive



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home