Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Day of Romance, Perhaps?

14th February...am I meant to feel more romantic or more incline to be romantic?

In my single days, I used to dread this day. All the happy couples around with tacky balloons, teddy bears, red roses, acting all lovey dovey etc etc. A day where restaurants come up with "romantic menus for two" at an exhorbitant rate, florists would work 24 hours the night before to meet those demands, etc etc.

In my single dating days, I would look forward to this day. Combing for V-day cards the moment it hits the stores, hunting around for thoughtful gifts, checking out the fashion racks for a new outfit, etc etc. All the build up to that day was magical just like the weeks leading up to Christmas.

I asked hubby a couple of weeks ago what he has planned for us on V-day. He told me that V-day is only for secret admirers and since we are married, it is no longer a secret! Then I asked if he will bring me flowers, he told me that he bought me an entire garden! I was and am still speechless.

What will we be doing tonight? Well, we will be having Spaghetti Bolognaise for dinner which I made on Sunday and sitting in front of the telly thereafter.

ROMANCE? What ROMANCE!

However, I have to say also that being loving and romantic shouldn't just be confined to a commercial driven event like V-day and it should come in daily doses in the form of consideration, tenderness, understanding and loyalty. That I do have, every single day.

But still, it would be nice to receive a little something from the hubby...especially since he is in town.

My boss who has been married for 28 years still continues to send flowers to his wife's place of work every year and either makes dinner or takes her out on V-day! That is ROMANTIC!

5 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Anonymous simmetra said...

So true...romance, what romance? I guess we're all practical at heart. Even that card or dinner or flower seems like just an empty act after a while. What matters is the daily affirmation of love and affection.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger serene said...

i'm going to go agst the grain here... i believe that although at the same time we always say that "it's a waste of money, we shouldn't only be showing affection on V.Day"....but c'mon, admit it girls - we're craving to have that stalk of rose, or that little card that says "I love you"...deep down inside, we are... RIGHT? :P

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Magdalene said...

That's what marriage does to romance. It is no longer the butterfly in the stomach feeling but the daily affirmation. However, it would be nice to be romance once in awhile e.g. a little card that says "I Love You" - makes us feel like that they are taking advantage of us and that they are still working hard for our affections! *sob sob*

If this is what it's like without kids...the whole romance potential will surely be flung out of the window.

My happily married colleague shared that her hubby is also like that. Not into romance but is always there for her and the family. She further consoled me by saying "at least he is not a drunk or drug addict."

Well...I suppose I have to learn to appreciate the little things...

But yes, it would be nice to feel special...

 
At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Sue said...

I would think you of all people would know the difference of what stores do to jerk up sales. Romance is when your husband or in my case me, taking my hubby to the hospital when he cut his toes deep enough for a whole mice family to move in. Love is when your hubby is there supporting you when you are in labour and have given up on pushing. If there is no love, the other partner would just not be bothered!

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue

I have been following the comments you leave in this blog.

It would be wise if you exercised some self-censorship when you publish your views. It borders on being offensive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home