Friday, March 03, 2006

The little blessings in life

It has been so dry for the last 12 months resulting in Brisbane being on Level 2 water restrictions. There is much talk about Level 3 being introduced next month which means a total ban on watering of the yard and no usage of hoses.

As soon as Summer was farewelled, the vast skies opened and out came the rain! It has been raining for 3 days now. All of us are grateful for it and hope that much of the rain has gone into the dam (we are sitting at 30% at the mo'). Water is an invaluable resource esp for such a dry continent like Australia. What a fantastic way to welcome the change in season and I hope the rain will also bring much relief to our farmers who toil on the land all year round.

When I migrated to this country on my own merits 4 years ago, I told myself that I will embrace the country, its values, its people and its weather (however dry it is)...I have never looked back. In return, this country has given me more than I can possibly return in kind.

I have never been unemployed because I never stop trying, never compromise on my integrity, push myself beyond my comfort zone and firmly believe that my accent and/or skin colour has nothing to do with the job application rejections.

I have been blessed with a small network of friends who have shown themselves to be friends for life and continue to inspire/amuse me.

I have been blessed with a spouse who has shown me what life is like when someone accepts me for who I am and stands by me (in public) even when I am wrong.

I have been blessed with the priviledge of experiencing 4 seasons in a year - yes, summers are unbearable but I wouldn't appreciate winter THIS MUCH if I hadn't experienced a scorching hot season and have a wardrobe to show off!

There are so many little blessings in all our lives and it is quite easy to point them out. For me, I choose to focus on 5 blessings a day so that when I am tempted to whinge - I whinge with a sense of humour and not allow myself to turn into a cranky person.

I choose to have a great life because I only have one life and I might as well enjoy it!

1 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of and happy for you Mag. You deserve all the happiness and success Life has to offer.

Kevin
(PS. don't remind me I've wrote such mushy words. Spoils my rep as a cold sarcastic bastard ;-) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home