Wednesday, April 05, 2006

For the Love of Food

Food questions/stories inevitably gets brought up when two or more asians get together. We asians are absolutely shameless when it comes to food. We live to eat and not eat to live!

At a family dinner recently, an uncle reminisced about childhood and his passion for durians. His father who drove an old VW used to fill up the car with durians and there would be approximately 200 durians in the car, even the floor of the driver side wasn't spared. The result? Permanent needle shape marks on seats, the air-con wreeked of durian for months on end and the family had durian for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month and they LOVED it!

I have lived in beautiful Australia for the last 5 years and of course, whenever a singaporean friend visits they often ask which foods I miss, etc. My answer to that has been "nothing". However, as my vacation to Singapore draws closer...my taste buds have been going into overdrive!

Here is a list of what I do miss:

  • BBQ Stingray and Sotong on Banana Leaves
  • Assam Fish Head and Fish Head Bee Hoon Soup
  • Yong Tau Foo
  • Kangkong Belachan
  • Mee Pok Tah
  • Chee Kway and Chai Tau Kway
  • Ice Jelly and Herbal Jelly
  • Kueh Lapis
  • Chinese Soups (all kinds, including herbal ones)
  • Pepper Crab
  • Sayur Lodeh
  • Nasi Padang
  • Sugar Cane juice
Better stop writing my list...I cannot concentrate anymore. Food Paradise AKA Singapore here I come! Prepare yourselves and keep your shops open! (pic from friend's blog)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home