Monday, July 24, 2006

Everything happens for a reason

To me, balance is not so much about the mechanics of what I do each day or how I divide my time, it is about how I ensure that I'm at my best so that I am able to handle all of my responsibilities. I have always had one constant belief in my life, and that is everything happens for a reason; things will always turn out the way they are meant to, and will happen at the time they are meant to - and my role is simply to stay focussed, make the most of life and enjoy the ride.

I love my life and achieve my sense of work/life balance by following nine simple rules:

RULE #1 - Honor and cherish yourself
I know that if I feel better, I am abke to be a better person and therefore a better daughter, wife, aunty, daughter-in-law, friend and businesswoman. To honor ourselves is also about acknowledging our basic needs as human beings. Key to my sense of balance is knowing that I need, deserve and should strive for: Love, Physical wellbeing, finance abundance, emotional and spiritual balance, an understanding of my life's mission and purpose, realisation of my potentialand the opportunity to inspire others to work towards theirs and continual growth through learning.

I recognise these as needs, rather than desires, then I don't feel guilty for pursuing them. As basic needs, I simply must make time for them, no excuses.

RULE #2 - Accept that there is no perfect balance
Accepting that there is never an ideal wor/life balance has made my life so much easier and helpe me to shift my focus to learning how to deal with any challenges that arise.

RULE #3 - Family
At the heart of everything. Wthout so much as a blink, when my family needs me everything stops. Nothing is more important to me. No matter what else I achieve in life, it pales into insignificance in comparison to failing my loved ones.

RULE #4 - Perspective
Unless you keep a perspective on what you are doing and why, you end up living to work. I need to be well-organised, and I do mean painfully well-organised down to what we will be eating for breakfast, morning tea, lunch and dinner for the week. As important as it is to plan, it is just as important to be realistic with your time. Every night I do my 'to do' list for the following day, and the first thing I do when I'm finished, is halve it. Then, I look at each task and ask myself if it is in my best interests to do it, and how much it will cost me and ask whether I'd be better off delegating the work to someone else.

The balance to all this organisation and planning is in being able to tune out and just enjoy the simple things.

RULE #5 - Laughter
Keep a sense of humour and remember the power of laughter. I laugh everday, not just a giggle, but a strong belly laugh.

RULE #6 - Gratitude
I send out gratitude every day because living with gratitude creates more in my lige to give gratitude for. This is my favourite part of balance. I have a gratitude diary in which I try to write something that I am grateful for every day, it might be the beautiful weather or even when I get to the train station on time. I know that eevern those days I wish I hadn't gotten out of bed (when everything goes disastrously wrong) are still says that someone somewhere would aspire to have.

RULE #7 - Friends
I love, respect and value all my friends. They each have different attributes that I have learnt from. By keeping the company of cheerful and energetic friends, we can feed and motivate each other.

RULE #8 - Multi-task
As the traditional 'gatherers', multi-tasking is something that women can do that drive men insane because they perceive it as chaos. This is a key feature of balance that brings it all together for me and makes everything work.

RULE #9 - Let go of guilt
It is plain obvious. I know that I cannot create the life I want while I am holding onto the past or avoiding facing my dears. With everything that happens, we can choose to take either a positive or negative approach to it. I could have easily chosen to hold onto the past, but I choose to focus instead on the positive, on that fact that my life has been blessed with so many magical experiences. I have also learnt to be grateful for all the negative things that happen by placing them in a positive light. This is the only way to truly let go of the past.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What are your values and rules for yourself?

3 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration do you that? - Sue

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Magdalene said...

Thank you Sue =)

You have a wonderful life surrounded by family and friends. We have so much to be grateful for and when things get tough, we know we are not alone.

Life is an adventure - everything happens for a reason. Enjoy the ride!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger REDLeader said...

Live in the here and now.

Easy to say, hard to do. The days that I experienced that are the happy times in life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home