Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Second Week of Health overhaul

"Must not let it become white elephant,
must not let it become white elephant, must not let it become white elephant..."

Yes, chanting that mantra does work! This is my second week in my journey of health overhaul. Why the desire to get healthy? Well, why not?

For the last three years, I have been organising events in the area of work/life balance and you would think I would have been inspired many times fold and implemented those tips from keynote addresses and workshops to my personal life, by now. But no, I am one of those that cannot be "forced" into doing anything. I am what you would call a free spirit. My mother would label me as being rebellious and lazy.

If you have been following my blog, you would be aware that we are now proud owners of an elliptical trainer. We have even converted our double sized guest room into the home gym! YES, we never do things half-hearted. I sure hope this is not a phase we are going through...time to chant that mantra "must not let it become white elephant..."

I have been working out 6 days a week and eating well 80% of the time for the second week running and I feel great. In fact, I itch to move and feel frustrated confine to my desk at work. I have made little changes to my life because I don't want it to be a fad, I want it to become a lifestyle. Changes are implemented in 10% increments or reductions (depending on what it is) on a weekly basis so that it is not a shock to my system. Here are some of the things I have implemented:
  • Last week, I worked 20 minutes on the elliptical 6 days a week. 5km in 20 minutes. This week, I am working 10% more which equates to 22 minutes 6 days a week. 6.2km in 22 minutes.
  • Last week, I drank 2 x 750ml of water each day (6 glasses of water). This week, I am drinking 3 x 750ml water each day (9 glasses of water).
  • Last week, I took the train to Jared's office and we go home together in the car. This week, I take the bus home and walk 15 minutes from the bus-st0p to home
  • I now keep a food and activity diary and a nutritionist looking at it (she is one of my company's sponsor)!
  • I now cook with an olive oil spray as opposed to pouring olive oil straight from the bottle
  • I now have 5 smallers meals so that my blood sugar level remains constant. It has stopped the afternoon salty or sweet treats!
  • I now have brown rice as opposed to white rice

There you go. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous mlicy said...

Good work Mags! Keep it up! It's not luck you need, but sheer willpower!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Magdalene said...

Thanks Myra!

You are right - it is definitely will power. As much as it is tempting to just flop on the lounge the moment I get home, I end up feeling even more lethargic and not refresh from the "rest". It is only 40 minutes of my day and there are 24 hours in a day, so I really have no excuse do I?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home